Welcome to North Mankato, a growing, family-oriented community that is home to 14,000 friendly citizens. Our city is located at the bend of the Minnesota River where it majestically turns and flows north, where nature added the beauty of bluffs and valleys and provided our area with rich farmland. It is land that was once inhabited by the Dakota Indians and later attracted our ancestors, the European settlers.
As part of the Mankato/North Mankato area, the citizens of North Mankato are provided with excellent school systems, both public and private. We are part of a regional center for health care, shopping, higher education, sports and recreation. The North Mankato Taylor Library is an area attraction that enjoys high usage and the city-owned Caswell Park softball complex has been host to community, state, regional and national events. Our nearby lakes and city parks offer additional leisure and recreational opportunities.
North Mankato, located just an hour or so south of Minneapolis/St. Paul, is close enough to enjoy all the amenities of the metropolitan area, yet far enough away to enjoy the small-town character of the Midwest. Our clean, safe and peaceful city embraces a friendly and cooperative atmosphere where neighbors, businesses, public officials and city staff work together to achieve our high quality of living. We are proud of what we offer our citizens and with their input, we are planning for future growth.
Bridges Community School
Futures Program School
Dakota Meadows Middle School
Mankato West High School
NORTH MANKATO, in Belgrade Township, is a city on the Minnesota River, opposite to the city of Mankato, Blue Earth County. It was originally platted in 1857 with two ferry landings connecting to Mankato; a bridge between the communities was built in 1898. It was incorporated as a village and separated from the township on December 19, 1898.